DAR reviews land conversion rules for government projects

The Land Reform Department (DAR) said its land conversion rules had been revised to speed up government plans.

Secretary Bernie F. Cruz said in a statement on Sunday that government special project companies (SPUs) would be given priority in requests for the conversion of farmland.

The ministry considers UPS as a priority category for the employment opportunities they generate for local communities and for the potential of projects such as social housing, electricity distribution, telecommunications and water production in the city. benefit of the general public.

Landowners and beneficiaries of land reform can request the conversion of agricultural land for sites not exceeding five hectares.

For sites larger than five hectares, the appropriate office to file claims is the Land Use Case Division of the Agrarian Legal Assistance Office (LUCD-BALA).

Certificates from the promoter organization or local government unit (UGL) involved in the project are required for all applications, except those relating to agro-industry.

“A conversion request for an energy project such as the production, transmission or distribution of electricity must be certified by the Department of Energy (DoE), or the National Electrification Administration (NEA), or the LGU, depending on the person involved in the project, ”said Cruz said.

Applications for a telecommunications site should be certified by the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) or the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT).

Social housing projects must be certified by the Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development (DHSUD) or the National Housing Authority (NHA). Water-related projects must be approved by the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) or the Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA).

Conversions for resettlement sites or resettlement in disaster areas for displaced informal settlers must be certified by the National Council for Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (NDRRMC).

National government infrastructure projects must be certified by the promoter body or the Ministries of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) or Transport. – Luisa Maria Jacinta C. Jocson