Bureau of Land Management Announces Temporary Closure of Black Rock Playa

WINNEMUCCA, Nevada – The Black Rock Field Office has announced a temporary closure and temporary restrictions for activities on public lands immediately surrounding the Burning Man 2022 event site to protect public resources, ensure public safety in the Black Rock Desert and enable law enforcement personnel to assist state and local law enforcement agencies in enforcing existing laws. A Federal Register notice regarding a temporary closure and temporary area restrictions on the Playa was posted on July 1, 2022. Closures will begin July 28 and continue through October 1, 2022. The Burning Man 2022 event begins on August 28 and ends September 5.

The “Closure Zone” is a physical space that will be temporarily closed to unauthorized recreational activities for approximately 66 days. The closure order has two phases. Phase 1 will be in effect from July 28 to October 1, 2022 and will cover approximately 9,570 acres. Phase 2 will be in effect from August 22 to September 23, 2022, covering approximately 120,270 acres. Phase 2 of the temporary closure will affect approximately 77% of Black Rock Desert Beach, but public access to the remaining 23% of the playa outside of the temporary closure area will remain open for scattered recreational use.

Temporary restrictions are in effect to emphasize that certain activities remain prohibited during the closure. Prohibited activities include disorderly driving, driving under the influence, underage drinking, possession of weapons, use of fireworks, and discharge of sewage into the temporary closure area.

The BLM will post information signs and make maps available to the public providing detailed information about the temporary closure and restrictions. This information will be available at major entry points around the playa, the BLM Winnemucca District Office, the Black Rock Visitor Center and on the BLM website.

For more information, call the Black Rock Field Office at (775) 623-1500.